Monday, September 6, 2010

The One With Three: Numismatics, Classes, Cucumbers

Happy Labor Day!

I spent most of the day at work and most of that time was spent visiting different websites. We only have access to .gov websites so slow days end up turning into educational days as we surf different websites. Today I looked at the US Mint website and read up on the First Spouse coin collection. I've always been fascinated by the wives of the Presidents because so many of them have done great things. The first spouse coins feature a portrait of the first spouse on the front along their name, which number spouse they were and the dates that they were in the White House. On the back is an image representing the spouses legacy. For those President's who weren't married during their presidency, the coin features Liberty in her depiction in their day on the front with a picture representing the President's legacy on the back. Here are a few of my favorite coins:
-- Abigail Adams, I love their letters.
-- Jefferson's Liberty, for it's depiction of Liberty.
-- Dolley Madison, because the image on the back (and what she did) is awesome.
-- Julia Tyler, my favorite, for the image on the back (and the portrait is pretty cool too).
-- Buchanan's Liberty, for it's depiction of Liberty.

In other news, classes start tomorrow. I'll be taking Jews of the Mediterranean, Modern Literary Criticism and Theory and the Poetry Writing Senior Seminar. Starting in October I'll be adding a geography to the line-up of classes. I'm thinking that without French my semester will be much easier than the last three. I'm hoping, at least.

I'll end with a tasty way to prepare cucumbers. I have customers who regularly bring us cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers from their garden throughout the summer. Yesterday they brought in some bags and even though my dad had just purchased a good number of cucumbers at a local vegetable stand, I couldn't resist taking a bunch of the wonderful looking cucumbers that they brought in! My boss was telling us about one of her relatives who grows cucumbers and has found tasty and simple ways to prepare cucumbers. All you need to do is cut them in slices and dab a little bit of olive oil and black pepper over them. And it is very yummy! I'm sorry for the crappy picture. I took it quickly, in crappy lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment