Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sanctuary (S1)



A few days ago I finished season one of the Syfy show Sanctuary starring Amanda Tapping, Robin Dunne, and Emilie Ullerup. And I have a confession to make: as the credits began to roll after the season finale I had the urge to throw something at my TV. I'm turning into my sci-fi loving friend Sarah. (I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, she is the one who introduced me to the series.) What a cliffhanger!

The first season of Sanctuary was definitely a starter season. It was setting the stage for what could become a wonderful show. Some things weren't quite there and Sarah and I both agreed that if it hadn't premiered on a cable station it might not have made it. (We compared this to Moonlight, which we're also watching right now, a show that had much potential but would probably have fared much better on a cable station that may have given it the time it needed to reach that potential.) But it had plenty of great moments. Some of my favorite episodes include 1x06 "Nubbins," in which the Sanctuary becomes home to cute little creatures that ignite passions and 1x09 "Requiem," which finds Helen and Will trapped in a submarine. Another shining moment in the season (for me, at least) was 1x05 "Kush," an episode that was different from the rest but had a deliciously creepy storyline.

The first season is short, only 13 episodes, but it's a wonderful introduction to the series. This is a series that can satisfy both sci-fi lovers and those who are new to the genre. If you're looking for a fun, action-filled, funny TV show, definitely take a look at Sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment